Monday, January 4, 2016

No updose

What should've been Updose #21 is instead, a stagnant week.  It's just part of the process.  I'm not that discouraged about it just yet.  In that I also have food allergies, and I know how painful it can be when your body rids itself of allergens, I am JUST fine taking it slow so his body has time to adjust.

After last week not going so hot, the Dr opted to take us back down to 4 peanuts, twice a day, for 2 weeks.  His body needs time to adjust to the peanut.  It's just not tolerating the allergen right now.

I have asked the Dr. almost every week, "So, what's the most common dose people have reactions?"  And, she always kept saying, "It's different for everyone."  In my mind, I was thinking 7 peanuts is a lot of peanuts.  How can we have a reaction at this point?!  We've done it!  We're through!  :)  Silly me.  Just goes to show, it really is different for everyone.

So, we will let his body maintain the 4 peanuts twice a day and see how he does.  Any reactions I will report back to the Dr.  But, I don't anticipate problems, and I am hopeful in 2 weeks we will be back on the road to being desensitized.

The trick right now is psychological.  He does not want to eat peanuts.  Thankfully, he is 14 so I can reason with him some.  He can understand the benefit outweighs the psychological fear of how his body will tolerate it.

If he had been having anaphylactic reactions, this might be more of a scary process.  In that we are dealing with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, it's manageable.  :)  Not fun, but do-able.  He's a good kid that Bexter.

No comments:

Post a Comment